Friday, March 9, 2012

Gutti Vankaya Curry

Andhra special Gutti Vankaya  is  made  for  special occasions , this is  the dry version without gravu.. Brinjal is consider to be the king and tastiest vegetable.  There is song Aaha emi ruchi .. thina ra mimarchi … telling that if you eat daily also you would love it.
Ingredients:
Small Purple Brinjals or Egg Plant (Tender) 20
Urad dal or Menapa pappu1 ½ table spoons or 5 teaspoons
Chana dal or Senaga pappu1 ½ table spoons or 5 teaspoons
Coriander seeds 1 ½ table spoons or 5 teaspoons
Jeera 1 table spoon or 3 teaspoons
Red chillies 10
Tamarind 2 lemon sized
Turmeric powder ¼ teaspoon
Hing or Inguava 2 pinches
Oil 4 table spoons
Salt as needed

Preparation:
1. Heat a pan and add 2 teaspoons oil after oil is heated add chana dal, urad dal, coriander seeds, jeera, red chillies, tamarind and hing. 
When the dals change color and nice aroma comes. Switch of the stove. It takes about 10 minutes in low flame. If you keep in medium flame 
you have to saute them in between mix well continuously.
2. Let them cool and in a mixie or blender, blend it into fine powder.
3. Wash and wipe the brinjals. Slit the brinjals in the base in cross shape with out cutting the green top apart.
4. Heat a pan add oil to it after oil is heated add the brinjals and fry them for 5 minutes on all sides uniformly. This will reduce the cooking time for brinjals.
5. Let the brinjals cool. In the powder mix tumeric powder, salt and little oil/water to make it tight.  I have added water. Make them into 1 ½ cm balls. Stuff the balls in the slit of brinjal and press the brinjal gently. Do this for all brinjals.
6. In the same pan that we fried our brinjals, put the stuffed brinjals and cook in medium low flame.
7. Cover it with lid and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Saute them gently in between on all sides by gently moving the brinjals with a spatula or hand in between.
8. When the brinjals are tender and cooked add little salt and sprinkle the remaining powder (optional).
9. Serve with hot rice.



                Sending this to Vegan Diet of  Sravani  Only plant based event
Sending this to Kalyani's Sizziling taste buds  Colorful Palate event
Sending this to I'm The Star hosted by Rasi of Vegetarian Food & Me


26 comments:

Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch said...

I always love seeing what you are making because it is usually something I have never had before and looks amazingly delicious! Have a great week!

KitchenKarma said...

Lovely preparation...I love brinjals!

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Looks so good, love brinjals.

Inviting you to participate in Cook Eat Delicious Desserts Event- Wholesome Desserts with no refined sugar or flours

Manasi said...

Thank u for visiting my blog and ur kind comment.
My husband likes eggplant, i guess I should make this more often, ur post has reminded me of it:)

Deepthi KR said...

aha emi ruchi anara mai marachi!!!!!!!
looks fab!!!!

Cheers
DD

Suja Manoj said...

Drooling here..looks so delicious.

Rasi said...

I love the cute lil song of urs :).. we do it as sambhar :D

Minu Asheej said...

I am new to this blog..Look delicious..Will try it.

Julie said...

Yummy yum..
You can link this to my event,Sriya!!

Cook in any recipe with "Cilantro /Cumin & Just link in EP Series-Cilantro /Cumin Event

Erivum Puliyum

Hema said...

Delicious, one of my all time favorites..

Rosh said...

Always think of trying it but never did. Your recipe is tempting me now :) Sounds yummy!

Chef Al dente On going event: Gimme GREEN!

Faseela said...

looks so delicious n yummy...

Aruna Manikandan said...

looks delicious dear :)

preeti garg said...

My fav.... stuff brinjal...Awesome....

visit @my blog for my first event in ur free time :-)
Preeti
Ongoing Event--Color n Sweet-HOLI FEST
Preeti's Kitchen Life

Roshu said...

Thanx for visiting and following my blog dear......glad to follow u coz ursis such a wonderful blog

Spicy-Aroma said...

curry looks delicious..you have lovely blog..glad to follow u dear..do visit my space too in your free time!! :)
Spicy-Aroma

PrathibhaSreejith said...

Awesome preparation Sriya, sounds delicious :)
Happy to reach out to your space, I didn't get ur link initially to follow. I'm glad to be ur follower now.

Swathi said...

Delicious eggplant curry.

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

This is one of my favourite. Awesome post and perfect

Aarthi said...

I always wanted to learn this recipe.. Thanks for sharing :)

Shobha said...

Gutti vankaya curry is my favourire...will check out all the recipes soon.
Thanks for visiting my blog and liking it.
following urs too.

Sravs said...

Super tempting curry !! Thanks for linking to the event !!

Ongoing event CC:Vegan Diet - Plant Based Food

MyKitchen Flavors-BonAppetit!. said...

Super inviting Stuffed Brinjal Curry Dear. Luks awesome 2

Rosita Vargas said...

Para mi es novedoso este fruto no lo conocía debe ser muy rico,linda receta,abrazos hugs,hugs.

Petro said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your nice comment.
You have a lovely place over here, one of the most beautiful and interesting I've seen lately. Plus you've got so many great and new to me recipes.

xoxo

Unknown said...

great preparation
http://www.unnatisilks.com/